Saturday 3 April 2010

The Xcerts

Post number three brings you a nice little three-piece Scottish band (no, not Biffy Clyro, we all know how nice they are.)

'The Xcerts' utilise lush echoey reverberating guitars and unmistakeable Scottish opportunism in their vocals, characteristic of fellow Scots 'Frightened Rabbit', with such gems as: “I am a ghost, I am nowhere, I am doomed”, but this is offset by the energy elsewhere in the music, lovely!

With most of their songs available on Myspace clocking at over five minutes each shows that these guys are not quite content with banging out powerchords for a bit and calling it a song. (As few Scottish bands seem to do, must be something in the water...)

There's the occasional American twinge to the vocals, with some “Uh-oh’s” in ‘Cool Ethan’ for good measure, but it doesn’t reach a US-teenybopper level, phew!

These guys sound right at home on Xtra Mile records (being able to say that you’re label mates with Frank Turner probably has its perks too) and show emotion in their music but not in the sickly ‘I love this girl but she’s juuuust out of my league’ type of way.

I was quite surprised that I hadn’t heard of these highland fellows before, but I will surely be keeping tabs on them in the future, will you?

URL: www.myspace.com/thexcerts

No comments:

Post a Comment